FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE AND ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES
Prof Levi Musalia
The mission of the Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Studies (FAES) is to improve food security and livelihoods in the community through increased and sustainable food production and resources utilization. The faculty aims to achieve this mission by producing graduates with skills and competence and through collaborative research and outreach activities with various stakeholders.
The Faculty recognises the fact that farming and resources utilisation are based on science and technology that rely heavily on the environment. FAES therefore offers courses relevant to the changing environmental needs. In addition to providing knowledge and skills to the students to be competent, they are also equipped with entrepreneurial skills for self employment.
FAES hosts the Departments of Plant Sciences, Animal Sciences and the Department of Environment Studies and Resources Development (ESRED).
Teaching in the Faculty
The faculty is committed to offering high quality training that is practical oriented. The students have hands on training using modern equipment in the relevant fields The Faculty is setting up modern animal and farm demonstration units, at the main campus and on a 500 acre farm at Kairini, to equip the students with appropriate practical skills in order to be competitive in the market. Apart from teaching purposes these farms generate income to the University. Students also get more exposure through field trips and field attachment.
Research and outreach programmes
Research in the Faculty targets the areas of livestock production, crop production, hospitality and environmental resources management. The goal is to improve the livelihoods of the community through sustainable, efficient and increased food production from animals and plants in a clean environment. Key areas that must be addressed are climate change, pollution mitigation, human-wildlife conflict and alternative tourism development.
The Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Studies is actively involved in outreach programs to the community Improving dairy production
- Ration formulation
- Artificial Insemination services
- Various student clubs e.g. Environment club, Wildlife club
To improve on its extension services the Faculty envisages the provision of the following in the future:
- High quality breeding stock (dairy goats)
- Waste recycling techniques
- Short courses on recent technologies in livestock and crop production for farmers
Course in this faculty
- Bachelor of Science in Animal Science
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture
- Bachelor of Science in Horticulture
- Bachelor of Science in Ecotourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Catering and Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Tourism and Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Science in Wildlife Enterprise & Management
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Science in Natural Resources
- Master of Science in Animal Nutrition
- Master of Science in Horticulture
- Master of science in Plant Biotechnology
- Master of Science in Agronomy
- Masters in Tourism Management
- Master of Science in Environmental Science
- Ph.D. in Horticulture
- Ph.D. in Animal Science
- Ph.D. in Plant Biotechnology
- Ph.D. in Crop Science
- Ph.D. in Dry Land Agriculture
- Ph.D. in Food Science
- Ph.D. in Environmental Science