FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION
HISTORY: Gender and women history, History of Agriculture, Indigenous knowledge systems & food security, History of political thought, history of government and Constitution.
Chuka University 2021- Senior Lecturer
2012-Assistant Lecturer in history -Teaching , guiding & mentoring students
– -Examining & supervising students in history
Mwenge Catholic University, Moshi, Tanzania:2009- Assistant Lecturer in history -Teaching , guiding & mentoring students
-Member of University Senate
Holy Family Secondary School , Ndaragwa2003-History Teacher :Class Teacher
– Member St. Francis de Sales Ndagani Catholic Parish Pastoral Council representing Chuka University Catholic Staff SCC.
– Member of Board of Management of Aberdare Teachers Training Institute, Ndaragwa, Nyandarua
– Member of Board of Management of Mwihangia Secondary School, Ndaragwa, Nyandarua
Name of the Institution Type of Degree or certificate Year of completion
Chuka University Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in History
Kenyatta University Master of Arts (M.A) in History June 2009
The Catholic University of Eastern Africa Bachelor of Education (Arts) History and Geography October 2002
MAIN TEACHING FIELD
Agricultural history of Kenya, Gender & Women History, African Cultural History, Philosophy of History, History of Political ideas, history of government & Constitution.
RECENT SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
1. Lazarus, N., Wekesa, W., Nkirote, N., Martha, M. Transformation of Gender Power Relations in Igembe Central, Meru, Kenya between 1895 and 193. International Journal of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, 8(11), 79-90. November 2020. www.ijlass.org
2. Wanjiru. M, Kinyua. L & King’ori. G. Colonial Roots of Food Shortage in Kenya: The Marginalization of the Agikuyu Women’s Indigenous Knowledge System on Food Crop Production. International Journal of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, 8(8), 14-24. August, 2020. www.ijlass.org
3. Martha W. Muraya, Geofrey K. Gathungu & Lazarus N. Kinyua. Effects of Mau Mau War on the Agikuyu Women’s Indigenous Knowledge System on Food Crop Production, 1952-1955. International Journal of Arts and Commerce. IJAC. Vol. 8 No. 6 July 2019. www.cekinfo.org.uk.
4. Martha W. Muraya, Geofrey K. Gathungu & Lazarus N. Kinyua: Colonialism and the Agikuyu Women’s Indigenous Knowledge Systems on Food Crop Production in Kiambu Kenya, 1902-1918. International Journal of Culture and History, Macrothink institute. Vol 6. No 1, June 2019. Doi; 10.5296/ijch.v6il.14975.
5. Martha Wanjiru Muraya. Role of the Agikuyu Women’s Indigenous Knowledge Systems (AWIKS) on Food Crop Production in Pre-Colonial Kiambu County upto 1902, Journal of Environmental Sustainability Advancement Research (JESAR), ISSN 2409-966X, Chuka University. Vol.5 February 2019.
6. Muiru, P. and Martha M. Lost opportunity: Peace Building Initiatives in Conflict Prone Areas in Molo Division in Kenya. International Journal of Arts and Humanities, Vol.2No.3 June 30, 2016.
7. Martha Wanjiru Muraya. Mau Mau War, Female Circumcision and Social-Cultural Identity among the Agikuyu of Kiambu, Kenya. International Journal of Culture and History, Macrothink Institute. Vol 2.No2 November 2015.
8. Colomba, K. And Martha M. A Historical Overview of the Representation of Female Character in Children’s Fiction in Kenya. International Journal of Liberal Arts and Social Science, Vol.2 No.6 August 2014 pp168-177
9. Martha, M. and Colomba, K. Historical Analysis of the Role of Female Circumcision in the Construction of Gender Roles, Values and Relations among the Agikuyu people of Kenya. International Journal of Arts and Arts History Online March 2014, Vol. N1 pp27-46
10. Naomi. K, Eric M, Martha M, and Job Mulati. The Impact of Samburu Culture on the Development of Western Education in Samburu Community during the Colonial period in Kenya. International Journal of Research on Humanities and Social Sciences, Vol.3, No 21 2013.
KEY RESEARCH PROJECTS
2016-2019 Colonialism & the Agikuyu Women’s Indigenous Knowledge Systems on Food Crop Production in Kiambu. Kenya (1902- 1963)
2006-2008 Colonial Transformation of Female Circumcision and its Impact on Women’s Roles and Gender Relations among the Agikuyu of Kiambu (1895 To 1963)
POST GRADUATE TOPICS SUERVISED
Evolution of Health Care Services in Tharaka: A case of Church of Scotland Chogoria Mission Hospital (1922-1956)
Colonial Transformation of the indigenous Naming Systems in Muthambi Community of Tharaka Nithi, Kenya (1920-1963)
Interplay between the Traditional and the colonial Conflict management Strategies between the Kipsigis and the Abagusii (1907-1963)
Political-Spiritual Dimensions of Conflict between Samburu and Turkana (1963-2010)
Evaluation of Political Order Among the Tigania of Meru (1908-1957).
Socio-Economic impact of Land Adjudication in Buuri Sub-County, Meru County, Kenya (1954-2010)