Faculty of Science ,Engineering & Technology
Department: Physical Sciences
June, 2015 – Present: Coordinator for Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences Programmes, Chuka University.
Jan, 2015 – Present: Senior Lecturer, in the Department of Physical Sciences, Chuka University.
2013–Dec. 2014: Senior Lecturer, Field attachment coordinator & Postgraduate committee representative in
the Faculty of Science, Egerton University.
2006–2013: Lecturer & Field attachment coordinator, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology,
2002–2006: Assistant Lecturer, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Egerton University, May
2002 to August 2006.
2001–2002: Assistant Lecturer, Department of Applied Biology, Kenya Methodist University, September
2001 to May 2002.
2000–2001: Secondary School Teacher, ST. James Tutua Secondary School, January 2000 to August, 2001.
2012: Ph.D in Biochemistry, Egerton University, Kenya
2000: MSc in Biochemistry, Egerton University, Kenya
1996: BSc in Biochemistry, Kenyatta University, Kenya
1987 – 1990: Garba Tulla High School, KCSE, attained B plain
1978 – 1986: Rwarera Primary School, KCPE, attained 67/72 points
Coordinator for Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences Programmes, Chuka University.
Senior Lecturer, in the Department of Physical Sciences, Chuka University.
Senior Lecturer, Field attachment coordinator & Postgraduate committee representative in the Faculty of Science, Egerton University.
Lecturer & Field attachment coordinator, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Egerton University.
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Egerton University,
Department of Applied Biology, Kenya Methodist University
RESEARCH GRANTS & SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS
1. Molecular basis of Striga hermonthica resistance in some Kenyan maize cultivars funded by KARI/ICAD
2. Effect of Azide-based Mutagenesis on Striga hermonthica parasitization on Sorghum varieties funded by Egerton University
3. Molecular Characterization of enteropathogenic Bacteria and Protozoa in River Njoro and Nakuru Municipal Waters and their Drug Resistance Levels funded by DAAD
4. Molecular Characterization of Herbicide Degrading Bacteria in Sugar Plantation in Western Kenya funded by NACOSTI
5. Synthesis, Antibacterial and Larvicidal activities of Fluorinated Hydroxytriazene Derivatives Bearing Sulphonamide Moiety and their Co (II) and Ni (II) Complexes. funded by NACOSTI
6. Characterization of Mineralogical composition and Chemical properties of Clay soils from selected Sites in Eastern and Western Kenya funded by NACOSTI
7. Genetic & Novel Molecular Biology Strategies for Screening potent Antimicrobials against MDR bacteria funded by NACOSTI
PUBLICATIONS IN REFEREED JOURNALS
1. Kainyu, R.M., Kiruki, S., Njagi, E.N.M. and George, O. (2019). Padiatric Reference Values for some Renal Biochemistry Tests in Meru, Kenya. Journal of Biochemistry & Molecular Medicine. 1:25-30.
2. Kiruki, S. (2019). Virulence Gene Markers and Multiple Drug Resistance in Escherichia coli Isolated from River Njoro in Kenya. Journal of Environment Sustainability Advancement Research. (Submitted).
3. Kainyu, RM., Njagi ENM., George O and Kiruki S. (2018). Establishment of Reference Ranges for Liver Biochemistry Tests in Children in Meru County, Kenya. Biochemistry and Analytical Biochemistry.7:349: 1-5. Doi:104172/2161-1009.
4. Kirianki, P. R., Othira, J.O. and Kiruki, S. (2017). Analysis of Microbial Quality of Drinking Water in Njoro Sub-county, Kenya. Journal of Environment Pollution and Human Health.
5 (1): 15-21. 5. Thirika, A., Ndiritu, F. and Kiruki, S. (2016). Effects of Magnetic Flux density on the Population density of E. coli in River Njoro Water. International Journal of Physics. 4 (4): 113-118.
6. Othira J. Odongo, Josiah O. Omolo, Kiruki S., Leonzio A. Onek & Francis N. Wachira (2013). Molecular Diversity of Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi (AMF) in Lake Victoria Basin of Kenya. Journal of Ecology & Natural Environment. 6(4): 145-152.
7. Njeru S. Ngoci, Kiruki, S., Limo Moses, Mbala M. Jesca, Eliud N.M. Njagi, Paul O. Okemo & Lawless Nathan (2012). Antimicrobial resistance and plasmid profiles of Aeromonas hydrophila isolated from River Njoro, Kenya. African Journal of Biotechnology. 11 (96):16284-16290.
8. Kiruki, S., Limo K Moses, Njagi En Mwaniki & Paul O Okemo (2011). Bacteriological quality and diarrhoeagenic pathogens on River Njoro and Nakuru Municipal water, Kenya. International Journal for Biotechnology and Molecular Biology Research, 2(9): 150-162.
9. Kiruki S., (2006). Career in Biomedical Science and Technology. Career Word Publication
10. Kiruki, S. & Othira J. Odongo (2009). Generation and characterization of Striga-resistant Maize and Sorghum using Azide-based mutagenesis. Egerton Journal of Science & Technology. 9:13-24.
11. Kiruki, S., Leonzio A. Onek & Moses Limo (2006). Azide-based mutagenesis suppresses Striga hermonthica seed germination and parasitism on maize varieties. African Journal of Biotechnology. 5(10):866-870.
12. Kiruki S., Mageto O. Kennedy, Ncene W. Bariu & Gikuru S. Kirubi (2006). Prevalence of Multidrug resistant enteropathogenic bacteria causing diarrhoea in Kibera community in Nairobi, Kenya. Journal of Tropical Microbiology and Biotechnology, 2:24-30.
1. Prevalence of Aeromonas hydrophila in R. Njoro, Kenya
2. Magnetic Field Intensities as an Alternative Water Purification Approach
3. Determination of the combined antibacterial and antifungal activities of clove and Eucalyptus citriodora.
4. Distribution and Diversity of Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria in Selected Agro-Industrial Polluted Rivers in Nakuru and Nzoia
5. Characterization of Mineralogical composition and Chemical properties of Clay soils from selected Sites in Eastern and Western Kenya.
6. Molecular Characterization of Herbicide Degrading Bacteria in Sugar Plantation in Western Kenya.
7. Synthesis, Antibacterial and Larvicidal activities of Fluorinated Hydroxytriazene Derivatives Bearing Sulphonamide Moiety and their Co (II) and Ni (II) Complexes
8. Efficacy of the Kipevu Sewage Treatment Plant on Removal of Organic Matter and Coliforms in Mombasa County, Kenya
9. Establishment of Reference Ranges for Biochemical parameters in Children in Meru county.
10. Biochemical Impact of Low and High Dose Cartha edulis F. Extracts on Rat Testicular Physiology.
11. Investigation of Heavy Metals and BOD levels of Karatina Sewerage Treatment System
12. Secondary Prevention Practices of Adult Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus at Meru Level 5 and Nkubu Consolata Hospital, Kenya
13. Patients’ and Families Perceptions Towards Diagnosis of Prostate Cancer in Tharaka Nithi, Kenya
14. Foot Care Influence on Foot Ulcer Development among non-insulindependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) Patients Attending Clinics in Embu County, Kenya.