Dr. Jonathan Kathenge
Distance and E-learning(ODEL) present enormous possibilities for increasing the
accessibility, affordability and flexibility of learning thus meeting the
growth in demand for university education. Therefore, Chuka University through
the ODEL directorate endeavors to mobilize resources, internally and externally
to play a leading role in increasing learning opportunities for the diverse
student population by delivering instructions through a variety of modes of
learning. The university endeavors to harness the unexploited potentials of
running ODEL Programme through rapidly changing technological opportunities for
the provision of quality education and lifelong learning. The objective of ODEL
programme is to create an enabling environment for the implementation and
management of all academic programmes offered by Chuka University. The programme
provides a guidelines and framework for the development, establishment, organization
and management of ODEL programmes in response to growing number of people
seeking access to higher education and training for National, Regional and Global
To be a leader in the provision of quality education to a diverse community by utilizing flexible modes and modern learning technology for national development
To increase accessibility to affordable and relevant higher education by society through flexible instructional modes of delivery and modern learning technologies.
To establish, develop, implement, organize, manage and oversee all Open, Distance and e-Learning programmes in Chuka University.
1. To ascertain possession of appropriate skills, competency levels, course prerequisites and equipment required for ODEL learning.
2. To assume responsibility for contacting assigned facilitator.
3. To complete all assignments according to the course schedule.
4. To observe the relevant university guidelines, rules and regulations.
5. To avail oneself for orientation and end-of-semester examinations promptly.
6. To familiarize with support services offered by the university including the library services.
1. All courses offered will be consistent with the level, nature, and mission of the institution.
2. When a course is delivered through ODEL programme, it will carry the same course code and title and credit factor as other CU programmes.
3. Each student enrolled in ODEL course shall have access to all the academic support services and instructional equipment. Support services may include but not limited to academic advising, counseling, library services and tutoring services. Students are advised with respect to course selection and academic progress.
4. Students will receive credit only for those courses for which they are officially registered for which they pay the necessary tuition at the time of registration, and for which they earn required minimum passing grades.
Programmes to be offered:
- Master’s in Business Administration
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education
- Bachelor of agribusiness management
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of science (community development)
- Bachelor of education (ECDE)
- Bachelor of arts (criminology & security studies)
- Bachelor of science agricultural economics
- Diploma in Procurement and Logistics Management
- Diploma in Criminology and Security Studies
- Diploma in Business Management
- Diploma in Community Development
- Certificate in Community Development
- Certificate in Business Management
- Certificate in Criminology and Security Studies
- Certificate in Procurement and Logistics Management