Faculty: Agriculture and Environmental Studies
Department: Animal Sciences
FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION
Pharmacology and Toxicology
August 2019 up to date: Lecturer, Chuka University
2018-2019: Assistant Lecturer, Maasai Mara University
2012-2018: Assistant Lecturer and HoD, Mount Kenya University
2011-2012: Veterinary Officer, State Government of Kenya
PhD On-going-Pharmacology and Toxicology (University of Nairobi)
PGD- Molecular Toxicology (Hokkaido University, Japan)
M.Sc. – Pharmacology and Toxicology (University of Nairobi)
Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine (University of Nairobi)
KEY RESEARCH PROJECTS
1 A grant by NRF to carry out research on combating antibiotic resistance using guidelines and enhanced stewardship in Kenya: an implementation science approach. Jesse Gitaka, Dominic Mureithi et al
2. Consultancy to investigate and draw up strategies to help Fresha Dairy combat antibiotic residues in milk supplied by dairy farmers in Githunguri Dairy Cooperative society (2018-2019) Consultant Dominic Mureithi and Florence Kinyajui
3. Goat Malaria Project :Mureithi Dominic and Jesse Gitaka (2016-2018)
4. To carry out a baseline survey on Opportunity for university intervention in upgrading animal health service industry in Marsabit County (2013) by KK Mutundu DK Mureithi H Nderitu
5. To organize a workshop on Opportunity for university intervention in upgrading animal health service industry in Marsabit County (2013) Consultant were KK Mutundu DK Mureithi H Nderitu
6. MRNA expression of cytochrome P450 in various goat tissues (2011) Mureithi Dominic and Darwish Wageh
7. Antibiotic Resistant Escherichia Coli in Feacal of Captive Baboons Not Normally Exposed to Antibiotic (2009-2011)
1. Jesse Gitaka, Dominic Mureithi, Davies Ndegwa, Moses Masika, Geofrey Omuse, Moses Ngari, Francis Makokha, Peter Mwaura, Ronald Mathai, Francis Muregi, Matilu Mwau (2019) Combating Antibiotic Resistance using Guidelines and Enhanced Stewardship In Kenya: An Implementation Science Approach. AAS open (under review)
2. Kaewthamasorn, M., Takeda, M., Saiwichai, T., Gitaka, J. N., Tiawsirisup, S., Imasato, Y. & Chaiworakul, S., Dominic K Mureithi., (2018). Genetic homogeneity of goat malaria parasites in Asia and Africa suggests their expansion with domestic goat host. Scientific reports, 8(1), 5827. doi:10.1038/s41598- 018-24048-0
3. Mureithi D K Khang K C and Kamau M N (2017) Antimicrobial Resistance Profile in Bacterial Isolates From Subclinical Mastitic Milk Samples In Dairy Herds In Kenya. Bull. Anim. Hlth. Prod. Afr., (2017), 65, 167-173
4. Eric S Mitema; Gabriel O Aboge; Joel P Mwova; Dominic K Mureithi (2018). Enterococci Isolated From Captive Baboons Harbor Transferable Macrolide and Tetracycline Resistant Genes Similar to Those Found in Human Isolates. PLOSONE (Under review) Chuka University Academic Staff Database © 2020 Page 37 of 460
5. D K Mureithi and M N Njuguna (2016) Prevalence of subclinical mastitis and associated risk factors in dairy farms in urban and peri-urban areas of Thika Sub County, Kenya. Livestock Research for Rural Development. Volume 28 (2)
6. Mureithi, D.K., Mitema, E.S., Mapenay, I.M., Ozwara, H.S. and Jung’a, J.O (2015). Antibiotic Resistant Escherichia Coli in Feaca of Captive Baboons Not Normally Exposed to Antibiotic. Pharmacology online, (3): 29-32
7. Mureithi, D.K and Mukiria, E.W. (2015).An assessment of tick borne disease constraints to livestock production in a smallholder livestock system: A case of Njiru District, Kenya. International Journal of Agricultural Research and Forestry, 2(10):1-11
8.Dominic MUREITHI, Wageh Sobhy DARWISH, Yoshinori IKENAKA, Laetitia KANJA, and Mayumi ISHIZUKA (2012), Cytochrome P450 3A mRNA expression along goat and rat gastrointestinal tracts. Japanese Journal of Veterinary Research, 60(4): 205-210
9. Mutundu, K.K., Mureithi, D., Odhiambo, A. and Nderitu, J.H (2013). Opportunity for university intervention in upgrading animal health service industry, University of Nairobi, Digital Repository http://hdl.handle.net/11295/65305; 2013.
10. Mutundu, K.K., Mureithi, D., Odhiambo, A. and Nderitu, J.H. (2013). Opportunity for university intervention in upgrading animal health service industry (2013). Workshop Proceedings, REGALAG/ACDI/VOCA, Kenya, MKU, August 2013, Marsabit, Kenya; 2013.
WORKSHOPS AND CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS
1. Dominic Mureithi., Florence Kinyajui, and David Obiero (2019). Risk mapping of milk contamination by antimicrobial residues in Githunguri sub-County, Kiambu County. KVA Annual Scientific Conference, Kisumu, 24th – 26th April, 2019
2. D Mureithi, 2017. Prevalence of subclinical mastitis and associated risk factors in dairy farms in urban and peri-urban areas of Thika SubCounty Egerton University 11th International Conference on 29th – 31st March, 2017
3. D. Mureithi, 2013. Evolution of animal health services provision and training opportunities with focus in ASAL areas, Workshop Proceedings REGAL-AG/ACDI/VOCA, Kenya, MKU, August 2013, Marsabit, Kenya; 2013.
4. Mureithi D.K., and E. Mukiria (2012), An assessment of tick-borne diseases constraints to livestock production in a smallholder livestock production system: a case of Njiru District, Kenya, 2nd Biennial Agricultural conference, 17th – 19th May 2012, Nakuru
5. Mureithi, D.K., Kanja, L.W. and Gitau, F.K. (2010). Organochlorine pesticide residues in bovine tissues from carcasses slaughtered in a local abattoir, Kenya. A paper prepared for presentation at 2nd International Toxicology symposium, Zambia. 8-9 th September, 2010 (poster presentation).
6. Mureithi, D.K., Mitema, E.S., Mapenay, I.M., Ozwara, H.S. and Jung’a, J.O. (2010). Prevalence and antimicrobial resistance in commensal Escherichia coli isolates from captive baboons. A paper presented at the 18th International Biomedical Research Conference, Kenya Institute of Education, Nairobi, Kenya, 6-8 th July, 2010 (Poster presentation).
7. Mureithi D.K., Mitema E.S., Mapenay, I.M and Junga, J.O. (2010). Prevalence of antimicrobial resistance and characterization of resistance genes in Esherichia coli isolates from some healthy baboons in Kenya. A paper presented at 2nd Annual Institute of Tropical Medicine and Infectious Diseases Post Graduate Conference, JKUAT, 27th – 28th May 2010 (Oral Presentation)
Antimicrobial resistance, Antibiotic residues, Food safety, Molecular toxicology, Animal Health Service