Dean, Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Studies
Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences
Department of Plant Sciences
FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION
October, 2019 – date: Dean, Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Studies
October 2017 to Date – Senior Lecturer, Plant Science Department, Chuka University
September 2014 to October 2017-Lecturer, Plant Science Department, Chuka University
November 2012 to September 2014- Assistant Lecturer, Plant Science Department, Chuka University
October 2012-to November 2012- Senior Research Officer, Kenya Agricultural Research Institute (KARI), Horticulture and Industrial Crops/Adaptive Research Dept. Molo, Kenya
July 2001-to September 2012 – Research Officer, Kenya Agricultural Research Institute (KARI), Horticulture
and Industrial Crops/Adaptive Research Dept. Molo, Kenya
April 1997- July 2001 – Agricultural Extension Officer, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development,
Kiambu District, Githunguri Division (1998-2001) and Nyeri District, Kieni West Division (1997)
May-October 1996 – Teachers Service Commission-Agriculture/Biology Teacher-Muguru Secondary School,Kangema Division, Murang’a
March-May 1996 – Research Assistant, Pyrethrum Project, University of Nairobi
Ph.D in Horticulture, Egerton University (2014).
Master of Science in Agronomy, University of Nairobi (2000).
Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (1995)
KEY RESEARCH PROJECTS
2019-2022. Locally-driven co-development of plant-based value chains towards more sustainable African food system with healthier diets and export potential (EU)
2019-2020. Assessment of Socio-Economic and Institutional Factors Affecting Optimization of CoffeeProduction in Chuka Sub-County Kenya (IRF, CU)
2017-2019. Colonialism in Kenya and its implications on the Agikuyu Womens’ indigenous knowledge systems on food crop production in Kiambu County, 1902-1963” (IRF, CU)
2017-2019. Determination of the Efficacy of Neem, Tithonia and Tephrosia Leaf Extracts in Management of Root -Knot Nematodes in French Beans” (IRF, CU)
2017-2019. Effect of Integrating Naphthalene Acetic Acid, Staking and Mineral Nutrient on Growth, Yield and Seed Quality of Climbing Beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) (NRF/IRF, CU)
2014-2017. Effects of Farmyard Manure and Harvesting Frequency on Insect Pests, Leaf Yield, and Longevityof Kitchen Garden Kales (IRF, CU)
2010-2014. Optimization of seed potato tuber productivity and quality through integrated water, nitrogen and phosphorus management (NACOSTI)
2010-2012. Botanical Crops Agricultural Product Value Chain Analysis (KARI-KAPAP)
2008-2010. Validation, Adoption and Dissemination of Improved Technologies in Pyrethrum Growing Areas
1. Mulambula. S., Gathungu G. K., Ndukhu H.O and Ogolla F. 2019. Effects of Integrated Application of Rhizobium and Phosphatic Fertilizer on Growth Nodulation and Yields of Soybean in Meru South, Kenya. Journal of Environmental Sustainability Advancement Research, 5:11-19 Chuka University Academic Staff Database © 2020 Page 23 of 460
2. Mulambula. S., Gathungu G. K., Ndukhu H.O and Ogolla F. 2019. Integrated Effect of Rhizobium Inoculation and Phosphorus Application on Tissue Content, Symbiotic and Phosphorus use Efficiency in Soybean Production. International Journal of Environment, Agriculture and Biotechn., 4(5):1462-1468
3. Njenga JK., Gathungu, G.K and Mbaka JN. 2019. Evaluation of Plant Extracts on Egg Hatching and Juvenile Mortality of French Bean Root-Knot Nematodes. African Journal of Hort Science 15:37-44.
4. Njenga JK., Gathungu, G.K and Mbaka JN. 2019. Efficacy of Neem, Tithonia and Tephrosia Leaf Extracts in Management of Root-Knot Nematodes in French Beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Journal of Agricultural Studies Vol. 7, No. 3:240-251
5. M. Mutegi Anita, K. Gathungu Geofrey and Sande Anne. 2019. Factors Affecting Sustainability of Donor Funded Food Security Projects in Tharaka South Sub-County, Tharaka Nithi County, Kenya. Asian Journal of Agricultural Extension, Economics & Sociology, 33(4): 1-7
6. Muraya, M.W. Gathungu, G.K. and Kinyua, L.N. 2019. Effects of Mau May War on the Agikuyu Women’s Indigenous Knowledge System on Food Crop Production, 1952-1955. International Journal of Arts and Commerce, 8(6), 21-38.
7. Muraya M. W., Gathungu, G.K and Kinyua, L.N. 2019. Colonialism and the Agikuyu Women Indigenous Knowledge Systems on Food Crop Production in Kiambu Kenya 1902-1918. International Journal of Culture and History, Vol. 6, No. 1:16-41.
8. Murerwa, E.G., Gathungu, G. K and L. K. Kinyua. 2018. Adoption of Virtual Learning Environment to Enhance Training of Agribusiness Practitioners in Kenya: A Review. International Journal of Education and Research, Vol. 6 No. 12 December 2018; https://www.ijern.com/
9. Muriithi, D. K., Arap Koske, J. K and Gathungu, G. K. 2017. Application of Central Composite Design Based Response Surface Methodology in Parameter Optimization of Watermelon Fruit Weight Using Organic Manure. American Journal of Theoretical and Applied Statistics, 6(2):108-116. doi:
10.11648/j.ajtas.20170602.16 10. Muriithi, D. K., Arap Koske, J. K, and Gathungu, G. K. 2017. Optimization of Multiple Responses of Watermelon to Organic Manure Using Response Surface Methodology. European International Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 6 No. 2: 52-70
11. Gathungu, G.K., Aguyoh, J. N. and Isutsa, D. K. 2016. Seed Potato Growth, Harvest Index and Net Economic Benefit Improvement through Irrigation Water, Nitrogen and Phosphorus Management. American Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology, 4 No. 1 pp. 9-24, doi:10.7726/ajast.2016.1002
12. Gathungu, G. K., Aguyoh J. N. and Isutsa, D. K. 2016. Improving seed potato leaf area index, stomatal conductance and chlorophyll accumulation efficiency through irrigation water, nitrogen and phosphorus nutrient management. Journal of Agricultural Studies 4(1):127-141.
13. Gathungu, G. K., Aguyoh, J. N., Isutsa, D. K. 2015. Optimization of seed potato specific density, starch and dry matter contents and tuberization capacity of resultant plants through integrated irrigation, nitrogen and phosphorus management. Journal of Plant Sciences, 3(4):225-233.
14. Gathungu, G. K., Aguyoh, J. N. and Isutsa, D. K. 2014. Effects of integration of irrigation water and mineral nutrient management in seed potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) production on water, nitrogen and phosphorus use efficiencies, Chapter 15:171-183. In: Walter Leal Filho, Antony O. Esilaba, Karuturi P.C. Rao and Gummadi Sridhar (Eds.). Adapting African Agriculture to Climate Change: Transforming Rural Livelihoods, Springer International Publishing, Switzerland. Print ISBN 978-3-319-12999-0.
15. Gathungu, G. K., Aguyoh, J. N. and Isutsa, D. K. 2013. Optimization of seed potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) tuber yield and size distribution through integrated irrigation water, nitrogen and phosphorus mineral nutrient application. American Journal of Experimental Agriculture 4(3): 349-361, 2014.
16. Gathungu, G.K., Aguyoh, J. N. and Isutsa, D. K. 2013. Integration of irrigation water and mineral nutrient supply effects on firmness and total soluble solids content of seed potato (Solanum tuberosum L.). East African Agricultural and Forestry Journal 79(1):17-21.
17. Gathungu, G. K., Aguyoh, J. N. and Isutsa, D. K. 2013. Influence of irrigation water, nitrogen and phosphorus nutrient application on relative weight loss and sprouting characteristics of seed potato tubers after storage. Sustainable Agriculture Research 2(4):30-38.
Sustainable Crop Management
Soil and Water Management
Agricultural Product Value-Chain Analysis
POSTGRADUATE SUPERVISION TOPICS
1.Determination of the efficacy of neem, tithonia and tephrosia leaf extracts in management of root-knot nematodes
2. Effect of Rhizobium inoculation and Phosphatic Fertilizer Application on Soybean Glycine max Growth and Yield in Eastern Region
3. Evaluation of the effects of agricultural land use on soil organic carbon stocks in small holder farms in Embu County, Kenya
4. Assessment of the factors affecting sustainability of community based food security projects in Tharaka Sub county, Tharaka Nithi County, Kenya
5. Effect Of Farm Inputs And Smallholder Farmer Characteristics On Irish Potato Production Technical Efficiency In Molo Sub County, Nakuru County, Kenya
6. Factors Influencing Performance Of Income Generating Enterprises Owned By Youth Living With Disabilities In Chuka/Igambang’ombe Constituency
7. Effectiveness of Climate Change Adaptation and Soil Fertility Enhancement Measures On Crop Production in Mbeere South Sub County, Embu County
8. Impact of farm based activities on woody plants species diversity and structure in Maara sub-County, Tharaka Nithi
9. The Effect of Rate and Time of Phosphorous Fertilizer Application, and Plant Density on Growth and Yield of Groundnut (Arachis hypogaea)
10. Effect of Cattle, Goat and Poultry Manure on Growth, Yield and Quality of Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L. Moench.)
11. Effects of Potassium Application on yield and Quality Attributes of different Soybean (Glycine max L.) Varieties in Trans Nzoia County
12. Effects Of Agronomic Practices, Production Costs And Cooperative Management On Earnings Of Smallholder Coffee Farmers In Runyenjes Sub-County, Kenya
13. Assessment Of Socio-Economic And Institutional Factors Affecting Optimization Of Coffee Production In Chuka Sub-County Kenya
14. Assessment Of Socio-Economic And Production Factors Influencing Uptake Of Banana Value Addition By Farmers In Chuka-Sub County Kenya
15. Growth, Yield and Post- harvest Quality of Butternut (Cucurbita moschata) Varieties under Different Fertilization Conditions and Pinching
16. Effect Of Rhizobium Inoculation, Phosphorus Application And Planting Density On Growth And Yield Of Green Gram (Vigna radiata L.)
17. Effects of inorganic NPK and mazao bora organic fertilizer on growth, yield and quality of celery (Apium graveolensis)
18. Modeling and Optimization of Multiple Responses of Watermelon to Organic Manure Using Response Surface Methodology
19. Colonialism in Kenya and its implications on the Agikuyu Womens’ indigenous knowledge systems on food crop production in Kiambu County, 1902-1963
20. Effect of the integration of naphthalene acetic acid, staking and mineral nutrient on growth, yield and seed quality of climbing beans (Phaseolus Vulgaris L.)