Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences
Department of Plant Sciences
FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION
Horticulture (Specialty Floriculture and Ornamental Horticulture)
2013 January to date: Lecturer, Plant Sciences Department
2006-2012 December: Horticulture Crop Development Officer, Nakuru County
2000-2004 Magana flowers Ltd. Production supervisor (rose cut flower production)
Ph.D. in Horticulture
Master of Science in Horticulture
B.Sc. in Horticulture
KEY RESEARCH PROJECTS
1. 2012 developed a competitive Ph.D research proposal on ‘Growth and quality of rose flower (Rosa hybridaspp.) cultivars as influenced by light transmission through selected poly film covers and different levels of calcium foliar feed’ that won funding from National Commission of Science, Technology and Innovation (NACOSTI) funded as the Principal Investigator.
2. In collaboration with 5 others from Egerton University, Kenya Plant Health Inspectorate Services and Ministry of Agriculture awarded Women Scientist to carry out a study on ‘Enhancing food safety in the Kenyan domestic market through reduced pesticide residues on vegetables – a value chain approach
3. OIP Global Experience Award of $4,000 as a collaborator. Developing an undergraduate level case study on cassava viral diseases. Collaborators from 5 institutions: Iowa State University (USA), University of Nairobi, Kenyatta University, Chuka University, Egerton University.
1. Oloo-Abucheli, G., J. N., Aguyoh and G. Liu. (2019). ‘Effect of Light and Temperature through Poly Film Covers on Anthocyanin Content in Rose Cut Flowers’. In: Modern Biology. India Book Publisher International.
2. Oloo-Abucheli G., J.N. Aguyoh and G. Liu. (2019). ‘Pre-harvest calcium treatment under selected poly films improves leaf chlorophyll content in Rose cut flower’. In: Modern Biology. India Book Publisher International.
3. Oloo-Abucheli, G., J. N., Aguyoh and G. Liu. 2017. Effect of Light and Temperature through Poly Film Covers on Anthocyanin Content in Rose Cut Flowers. International Journal of Plant & Soil Science, 20(3): 1-10
4. Oloo-Abucheli G., J.N. Aguyoh and G. Liu. 2016. Pre- harvest calcium treatment under selected poly films improves leaf chlorophyll content in Rose cut flower. International Journal of Plant and Soil Science 13(1): 1-9.
5. Nyalala, P.O.S., L. Yuan, G. Opetu., G. Liu., H. Zhang, X. Sheng and J.N. Wolukau. 2016. Farming in Kenya: Agricultural Development and Applicable Technology in Africa. Egerton University Press Kenya.
6. Oloo-Abucheli, G., J.N. Aguyoh and L. Gaoquiong. 2015. Greenhouse microclimate as influenced by poly film covers and its effect on growth of rose cut flower (Rosa hybrida spp.) cultivars. Acta Hort., 1077: 23-34
7. Oloo G., Aguyoh J. N., Tunya G. O. and O. J. Ombiri. 2011. Management of Fusarium oxysporium f. sp. rosae. Using Metham sodium, Dazomet and Brassica Biofumigants in Greenhouse Rose (Rosa spp.) Production. Journal of Agricultural and Biological Sciences, 6 (2): 10-16
8. Oloo, O.G, Aguyoh J. N., Tunya G. O. and O. J. Ombiri. 2009. Alternative Management Strategies for Weeds and Root Knot Nematodes (Meloidogyne spp.) in Rose Plants Grown under Polyethylene Covered Tunnels. Journal of Agricultural and Biological Sciences, 4(3): 23-28
POSTGRADUATE SUPERVISED TOPICS
1.Effect of earthing up and pruning systems on growth, yield, net economic benefits and post-harvest qualities of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum)
2.Effect of inoculation and rock phosphate fertility and performance of green-gram in Tharaka Nithi County
3Effect of NPK and mazao bora fertilizers on growth, yield and quality of celery (Apium graveolens)
4Fertilizer management and profitability of potato crop enterprises among smallholder farmers in Buuri SubCounty
Floriculture, Postharvest and use of Botanical Crops in Managing Crop Pathogens and Food Safety (Emphasis on Sustainable Production of Horticultural Crops)