Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Studies
Department of Environmental. Studies and Resources Development
FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION
Food Scientist and Human Nutritionist
2016 to-date: Assistant Lecturer, Chuka University.
19-23rd Aug 2019: Worked as a Technical Person and member of the nutrition taskforce secretariat in steering the development of Tharaka-Nithi County Nutrition Action 2018-2022 Plan (CNAP).
Jun 27- Jul 30 2018: Worked with RTI International (Research Triangle Institute) as a Transcriber for in-depth interviews in a study on egg consumption among pregnant women in poor communities, Nairobi.
Ph.D. in Food Science (Chuka University)
MSc. Applied Human Nutrition (University of Nairobi)
B.Sc. in Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics (Kenyatta University)
KEY RESEARCH PROJECTS
2014-2019: Diversification of processing and utilisation of multi-purpose pumpkin (Cucurbita moschata Duchesne) in Kenya.
1. Kiharason, J. W. and Isutsa, D. K. 2019. Marketability of value-added pumpkin (Cucurbita moschata Duch.) fruit in a representative peri-urban Kenyan market. International Journal of Food Science and Biotechnology. 4(1): 7-13.
2. Kiharason, J. W. and Isutsa, D. K. 2019. Shelf life of pumpkin fruit slices, flour and blended products. International Journal of Food Science and Biotechnology; 4(1): 14-25.
3. Kiharason, J. W. Isutsa, D. K. and Ngoda, P. N. 2017. Effect of drying method on nutrient integrity of selected components of pumpkin (Cucurbita moschata Duch.) fruit flour. Journal of Agricultural and Biological Sciences, 12: 110-116.
4. Kiharason, J. W., Isutsa, D. K. and Ngoda, P. N. 2017. Evaluation of sensory acceptability of bakery products prepared from wheat and pumpkin composite flour. International Journal of Science and Nature. 8(1): 1-7.
5. Kiharason, J. W., Isutsa, D. K. and Ngoda, P. N. 2017. Nutritive value of bakery products prepared from wheat and pumpkin composite flour. Global Journal of Bio-science and Biotechnology, 6(1): 96-102.
6. Kiharason, J. W., Isutsa, D.K. and Ngoda, P.N. 2015. Contribution of multi-purpose pumpkin (Cucurbita moschata Duch.) to the economy of selected Kenyan small-scale households. Journal of Environmental Sustainability Advancement Research, 1:8-14.
7. Kiharason, J. W. and Isutsa, D. K. 2014. Potential of orange-fleshed sweet potato in increasing vitamin A dietary intake in up to 60-month-old children in Laikipia, Kenya. Journal of Chemical, Biological & Physical Sciences 4(2):1188-1195.
Promoting food and nutrition security by promoting and developing healthy foods