Faculty of Science, engineering and Technology
Department of Biological Sciences
FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION
Medical Parasitology/Medical Immunology
October 2017-Date: Lecturer, Department of Biological Sciences, Chuka University
January 2013-September 2017: Assistant Lecturer, Department of Biological Sciences, Chuka University
May-December 2012: Assistant Lecturer, Department of Health Sciences, Great Lakes University of Kisumu (GLUK)
2011-2012: Laboratory technologist, PEPFAR programme, Kericho District Hospital
2009-2012: Part-time Lecturer, Department of Biological Sciences, Egerton University, Njoro and Kisumu Campus
2009-2011 Part-time Lecturer, Department of Biological Sciences, Bondo University, Kisumu
Ph.D. Pathogen Biology (Clinical Immunology and Infectious Diseases), 2020, Tongji Medical College of Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST), China
MSc. Medical Parasitology, 2011, Egerton, University, Njoro, Kenya
BSc. (General), 2006, Egerton University, Njoro, Kenya
KEY RESEARCH PROJECTS
2016-present: Host-pathogen interactions: Interaction of Toxoplasma gondii with DC-SIGN (CD209a) for promoting invasion, dissemination and infection, Tongji Medical College, HUST, China
2016-2018: Interaction of gram-negative bacteria with CD209 to promote host dissemination and infection, Tongji Medical College, HUST, China
2014-2015: Biodiversity of Theileria parva among cattle and buffaloes in Kenya, Kenya Wildlife Services
2007-2010: Post-treatment prevalence of schistosomiasis in highly endemic areas in Lake Victoria, Kenya, KEMRI-CDC, Kisumu
1. Yingxia He, Song Zhang, Yingmiao Zhang, Bicong Wu, Ying Xue, Chenglin Ye, Qiao Li, Adhiambo Njiri Olivia, John Mambwe Tembo, Hongxiang Chen, Huahua Cai, Tie Chen. Distinct Patterns of Host Adherence by Neisseria gonorrhoeae Isolated from Experimental Gonorrhea. Canadian Journal of Infectious Diseases and Medical Microbiology, 2021. vol. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/7865405. 15th May 2021
2. Bi-cong Wu, Njiri A. Olivia, John Mambwe Tembo, Ying-xia He, Ying-miao Zhang, Ying Xue, Cheng-lin Ye, Yin Lv, Wen-jin Li, Ling-Yu Jiang, Xi-xiang Huo, Zi-yong Sun, Zhong-ju Chen, Ji-chao Qin, An-yi Li, Chae Gyu Park, John D. Klena, Hong-hui Ding, Tie Chen. Loss of the virulence plasmid by Shigella sonnei promotes its interactions with CD207 and CD209 receptors. Journal of Medical Microbiology. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1099/jmm.0.001297. 16 February 2021
3. Njiri OA, Zhang X, Zhang Y, Wu B, Jiang L, Li Q, Liu W and Chen T. CD209 C-Type Lectins Promote Host Invasion, Dissemination, and Infection of Toxoplasma gondii. Front. Immunol. 2020; 11:656. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2020.00656
4. Muziazia JL, Njiri OA, Fei G and Jiahui L (2020) Quality control of blood smears prepared on transparent methanol: an alternative method for the microscopic diagnosis of malaria. International Journal of Mosquito Research; 7(2): 46-50
5. Lasong J, Zhang Y, Muyayalo PK, Njiri OA, Gebremedhin SA, Abaidoo CS, Li CY, Zhang H, Zhao K. Domestic violence among married women of reproductive age in Zimbabwe: a cross sectional study. BMC Public Health; 2020; 20(1):354. Epub 2020 Mar 18.
6. Chenglin Ye, Qiao Li, Xinyi Li, Chae Gyu Park, Yingxia He, Yingmiao Zhang, Bicong Wu, Ying Xue, Kun Yang, Yin Lv, Xiao-Ling Ying, Hong-Hui Ding, Huahua Cai, Ayman Ahmad Alkraiem, Olivia Njiri, John Tembo, Hong-Ping Huang, An-Yi Li, Jianping Gong, Jichao Qin, Bing Cheng, Xiang Wei, Ziyong Sun, Shu-Sheng Zhang, Pei Zhang, Guo-Xing Zheng, Wei Li, Biao Kan, Meiying Yan, Xiamu Xiding, Xixiang Huo, Yingchun Zeng, Hua Peng, Yangxin Fu, John D. Klena, Mikael Skurnik, Ling-Yu Jiang, Tie Chen. Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhimurium Interacts with CD209 Receptors To Promote Host Dissemination and Infection. Infection and Immunity. 2019; 87(8): e00100-19.
7. Kun Yang, Yingxia He, Chae Gyu Park, Young Sun Kang, Pei Zhang, Yanping Han, Yujun Cui, Silvia Bulgheresi, Andrey P. Anisimov, Svetlana V. Dentovskaya, Xiaoling Ying, Lingyu Jiang, Honghui Ding, Olivia Adhiambo Njiri, Shusheng Zhang, Guoxing Zheng, Lianxu Xia, Biao Kan, Xin Wang, Huaiqi Jing, Meiying Yan, Wei Li, Yuanzhi Wang, Xiding Xiamu, Gang Chen, Ding Ma, Sara Schesser Bartra, Gregory V. Plano, John D. Klena, Ruifu Yang, Mikael Skurnik, Tie Chen. Yersinia pestis Interacts with SIGNR1 (CD209b) for Promoting Host Dissemination and Infection. Frontiers in Immunology. 2019; 10: 96.
8. Muziazia J.L., Njiri O.A., Kahindo. A.K., Lufuluabo K.J., Jiahui L. 2018. Assessment of the therapeutic effect of Levamisole and Mebendazole against intestinal parasite infections in children in Kinshasa, (D.R.Congo). Journal of Parasitology. Photon 108, 269-278.
9. Kahindo P. Muyayalo, Njiri A. Olivia, Mbungu M.R. Postpartum Weight Retention in Congolese Pregnant in Kinshasa. 2017 International Journal of Current Research and Review Vol 9 (18).
10. Dave Nyongesa & Christine Kanee Mutoni & Olivia Njiri & Jane Njeri Ngugi. Assessing gender asset-gap in agricultural development in Kenya: a comparative study of smallholder dairy farmers, International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd. 2016, vol. 12(3), pages 226-245.
11. Njiri A. Olivia. Prevalence and associated factors of schistosomiasis and geohelminthes in associated human risk groups along Lake Victoria. African Journal of Science and Research. 2015,(4)3:05-12.
12. Ombaka, O., Musundi, S. W., Gitonga, L. K., Kibara, D., and Olivia, A. N. Rapid, Economical and Selective Complexometric Determination of Iron (III) in its synthetic alloys using 3 hydroxy-3 phenyl-1-(2,4,6 tribromophenyl) triazene. International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Volume 4, Issue 9, 2013 140.
13. Njiri A. O., Odhiambo R. A. O., Shivairo R. S., Karanja D. M. S. Post-treatment prevalence of schistosomiasis and concurrent geohelminthic infections in human risk groups along Lake Victoria. Egerton Journal of Science and Technology (12) 2012.
Host-pathogen interactions and/or immunopathogenesis of parasites and selected gram-negative
bacteria. Human and animal disease management using vaccines: Toxoplasmosis. Vector management
strategies and biodiversity conservation for cercaria source reduction in control of schistosomiasis.