FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION
Agricultural Education, Extension, and Communications
2019 – Present: Lecturer, Chuka University
2016 – 2019: Research Assistant, Texas Tech University, US
2016 – 2016: Lecturer, Department of Education, Chuka University, Kenya
2012 – 2016: Assistant Lecturer, Department of Education, Chuka University
Jan – Dec, 2012: Programme Officer, African Institute for Capacity Development (AICAD)/JICA
2009 -2012: Programme Assistant, African Institute for Capacity Development (AICAD) /JICA
1. A member of the Association for International Agricultural and Extension Education
2. A member of the Association for International Agriculture and Rural Development
3. A staunch member of the Catholic Church
PhD in Agricultural Educ & Communications, Texas Tech University
Master of Science in Agricultural Extension, Egerton University
B.Sc. in Agricultural Educ. & Extension, Egerton University
KEY RESEARCH PROJECTS
2019: Spatial Analysis of Sustainable Organic Agricultural Practices among Farmers in Central Kenya
2017: Farmers and Farmworkers Agrisafety in Cotton Industry in Lubbock County, Texas
Electronic Extension and Adoption of Livestock technologies in Kirinyiga County, Kenya
2016: Application of Best Horticultural Farming Practices by Smallholder Producer Groups in Meru, Kenya
Quality of skills provided to students teachers in public universities in Kenya
2015: Smallholder Participation in Indigenous Poultry Production in Tharaka Nithi County, Kenya
2014: Sleep Quantity and Performance of Students in Public Universities, Kenya
2013: Integrated Cassava Value Chain Intervention and Socio Economic Development of Smallholder
Farmers in Rongo District Kenya
Technical Knowledge and Information Gaps among Smallholder Farmers in the Production of
Sugarcane in Kakamega County
1. Gikunda, R.M., & Lawver, E. (2019). Farmer Group’s Membership and Application of Best Horticultural Farming Practices in Kenya. Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education 26(2):89-105
2. Gikunda, R.M., Kieth, J., Boren, A. & Kyle, C. (2019). Understanding Role Establishment, Leadership and Motivation for Role Selection in Agricultural Education Student Teams. NACTA Journal.
3. Eregae, J., Mokaya, S., & Gikunda, R. M. (2019). Service delivery in devolved government system in Kenya: A case study of Isiolo County Government. International Journal of Scientific Development and Research, 4(5):424-429.
4. Gikunda, M.R., & Lawver, E. (2019). Group Cohesion and Application of Best Horticultural Farming Practices Among Farmer Groups in Meru County, Kenya. Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education.
5. Mwinyimkuu, J., Mokaya, S., & Gikunda, R.M. (2019). Sustainability of Community-Based Armyworm Forecasting in Moshi District, Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania. International Journal of Science and Research, 8(4):1710-1715.
6. Gikunda, M.R., & Griffith, C.S. (2019). Appropriateness of handheld Garmin GpsMap 76csx in urban tree inventory. American Journal of Geographic Information System, 8(3):119-125. doi:10.5923/j.ajgis.20190803.01
7. Lawver, D., Baker, M., Gikunda, R.M., Magogo, J., & Kanyi, M. (2018). Entrepreneurial Education in Middle-Level Tertiary Colleges in the Rift Valley of Kenya. Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education, 25(3):7-19.
8. Ngeresa, P., Mokaya, S., & Gikunda, R.M. (2018). Relationship between Access to Microcredit and Growth of Microenterprises among Clients of Vision Fund Microfinance in Tanzania. International Journal of Commerce and Management, 6(2):193-197
9. Gikunda, R.M & Njeru, G.S (2017) Perception of Student Teachers’ on Quality of Skills Provided in Public Universities in Kenya. International Journal of Advanced Research in Education & Technology, 4(2):7-11
10. Nato G.N. & Gikunda R.M (2016) Non-Economic Factors Associated with Adoption of Sprinkler Irrigation among Farmers in Kariandusi Location of Nakuru County, Kenya. International Journal of Agriculture Innovations and Research, (5)1:113-117
11. Gikunda R.M & Mburugu B.M. (2015). Effect of Social Media on Interpersonal Relationships of Students in Public Universities in Kenya. International Journal of Academic Research
12. Gikunda R.M. & Mutegi E. (2015). Opportunities and Challenges Facing Smallholder Participation in Indigenous Poultry Production in Tharaka Nithi County, Kenya. International Journal of Agriculture Innovations and Research, (4)2:295-300
13. Gikunda R.M., Odilla A.G. & Njeru G.S (2014) Socio-economic Effects of Mpesa Adoption on the Livelihoods of People in Bureti Sub County, Kenya. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, (4)12
14. Mucee J.N. Reche G.N., Bururia D. & Gikunda, R.M. (2014) Socio-Cultural Factors that Influence Access to Secondary School Education in Tharaka South Sub-County, Kenya. International Journal of Education and Research, (2) 10,
15. Gikunda, R.M., Odilla A. G., Kiriungi L., & Muchiri, M.J. (2014). Effect of Sleep Quantity on
Performance of Students in Public Universities, Kenya. Merit Research Journal of Education and Review, 2(6):113-118.
16. Kiriungi, L., Gikunda R.M, & Mburugu, B. (2014). An Assessment of Public Primary School Teachers’ Attitude towards Inclusion of Children with Hearing Impairment in Central Region of Kenya. International Journal of Education and Research Vol. 2 No. 3
17. Odilla A.G., Gikunda R.M., Nato G. N (2013). Technical Knowledge and Information Gaps among Smallholder Farmers in the Production of Sugarcane in Kakamega County, Kenya International Journal of Agricultural Science, Research and Technology,3(4):199-207
18. Kirimi, F.K., Gikunda, R.M., Obara J. & Kibett J. (2013). Influence of Selected Motivational Factors on the Performance of Secondary School Agriculture Teachers in Imenti South District, Kenya. International Journal of Education and Research. Vol. 1 No. 6
19. Gikunda, R.M., Nato G.N. & Mokaya S.O (2013). Effects of Integrated Cassava Value Chain Interventionon Socio Economic Development of Smallholder Farmers in Rongo District Kenya. International Journal of Arts and Commerce. Vol. 2 No. 5
20. Mokaya, S.O., Wakhungu, B. & Gikunda, R.M. (2012). The Application of Mckinsey Matrix in Determination of Route Attractiveness and Resource Allocation in Kenya Airways. International Journal of humanities and Social Science. Volume 3, Issue 5
My research interests are broad, but geared towards the empowerment of rural people for improved