FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION
September 2017 to date: Chair Animal Sciences Department, Chuka University
February 2019 to September 2019: Consultant for International Livestock Research Institute
January 2016 to date: Lecturer at Chuka University
2007 – 2010: Livestock Officer at Coast Development Authority
2006 to 2009: Director to the Board of Kilifi Water and Sewerage Company
Animal Production Society of Kenya
A member of the Praise team in the church, World Harvest Church, Chuka.
PhD in Animal Science
Master of Science in Animal Production (Nutrition option)
BSc in Animal Production
KEY RESEARCH PROJECTS
2011 – 2015: Assessment of Standardized Ileal Digestible Lysine and Sulfur Amino Acids to Lysine Ratio for Weaned Piglets Fed Antibiotic-Free Diets
2003 – 2005: Utilization of Madras Thorn, Leucaena and Glricidia as Protein Supplements for Growing Goat in the Coastal Lowland, Kenya
1) Kahindi, R.K., A.H. Regassa, J.K. Htoo, and C.M. Nyachoti. 2018. Growth performance and expression of genes encoding enzymes involved in methionine and cysteine metabolism in piglets fed increasing sulphur amino acid to lysine ratio during enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli challenge. Canadian Journal of Animal Science, 2018, 98(2): 333-340.
2) Kahindi, R.K., A. Regassa, J.K. Htoo, and C.M. Nyachoti. 2017. Optimal sulphur amino acids to lysine ratio for post weaning piglets reared under clean or unclean sanitary conditions. Animal Nutrition, 2017 3(4): 380–385.
3) Kahindi, R. K. Htoo, J. K. and Nyachoti C. M. 2016. Dietary Lysine requirement for 7-16 kg pigs fed wheat-corn-soybean meal based diets. Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition DOI: 10.1111/jpn.1249.
4) Kahindi, R. K., Thacker P. A., Lee, S.I., Kim, I.H. and Nyachoti, C. M. 2016. Performance and phosphorus utilization of broiler chickens fed low phytate barley and pea based diets with graded levels of inorganic phosphorus. Annals of Animal Science DOI: 10.1515/aoas-2016-0023.
5) Kahindi, R.K., J.K. Htoo, and C.M. Nyachoti. 2016. Dietary Lysine requirement for 7-16 kg pigs fed wheat-corn-soybean meal based diets. Journal of Animal Nutrition DOI: 10:1111/jpn.1249
6) Kahindi, R. K., Thacker, P. A. and Nyachoti, C. M. 2015. Nutrient digestibility in diets containing lowphytate barley, low-phytate field pea and normal phytate field pea, and the effects of microbial phytase on energy and nutrient digestibility in the low and normal-phytate field pea fed to pigs. Animal Feed Science
and Technology Journal 203:79-87.
7) Heo, J. M., Kiarie, E., Kahindi, R. K., Maiti, P., Woyengo T. A., and Nyachoti C. M. 2015. Ileal amino acid digestibility in egg from hyperimmunized-hens fed to weaned pigs and piglet response to diets contain egg products. Animal Feed Science and Technology Journal 204:52-61.
8) Kahindi, R. K., Htoo, J. K. and Nyachoti, C. M. 2014. Growth performance of weaned pigs fed antibioticfree diets with graded lysine content in unsanitary conditions. Canadian Journal of Animal Science 94:115-118.
9) Kahindi, R. K., Woyengo, T. A., Thacker P. A. and Nyachoti, C. M. 2014. Energy and amino acid digestibility of camelina meal fed to growing pigs. Animal Feed Science and Technology Journal 193:93- 101.
10) Heo, J. M., Kiarie, E., Kahindi, R. K., Maiti, P., Woyengo T. A., and Nyachoti C. M. 2012. Standardised ileal amino acid digestibility in egg from hyperimmunized hens fed to weaned pigs. Journal of Animal Science 90:239-241.
11) Saha, H. M., Kahindi, R. K. and Muinga, R.W. 2008. Evaluation of manure from goats fed Panicum basal diet and supplemented with Madras thorn, Leucaena or Gliricidia. Tropical and Subtropical Agroecosystems, 251-257.
12) Kahindi, R. K., Abdulrazak, S. A. and Muinga, R.W. 2007. Effect of supplementing Napier grass with Madras thorn (Pithecellobium dulce) on intake, digestibility and live weight gains of growing goats. Small Ruminant Research 69:83–87.
13) Abdulrazak, Kahindi, R. K. and S. A., Muinga, R.W. 2006. Effects of Madras thorn, Leucaena and Gliricidia supplementation on feed intake, digestibility and growth of goats fed Panicum hay. Livestock Research for Rural Development 18 (9) 2006.
Use of non-feed additives feed ingredients in the manipulation of livestock performance
POSTGRADUATE SUPERVISION TOPICS
5 Topics Supervised