Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Studies
Department of Plant Sciences
FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION
Plant Breeding, Biotechnology and Agronomy
Nov 2017 to date: Senior Lecturer, Plant Sciences Department, Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Studies, Chuka University.
Oct 2012 to Oct 2017: Lecturer, Plant Sciences Department, Chuka University
Jan 2011 to Sept 2012: Assistant Lecturer, Plant Sciences Department, Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Studies, Chuka University
Aug 1989 to Jan 2011: Ministry of Agriculture, Kenya
PhD in Plant Breeding and Biotechnology: Jan 2015, Makerere University, Uganda
MSc in Agronomy (Crop Prfotection Option): Dec 2008, Egerton University, Kenya
BSc in Horticulture, Egerton University, Kenya
Diploma in Horticulture, Egerton University, Kenya
RESEARCH PROJECTS AND GRANTS
i. Collaborator, Joint interdisciplinary and inter-institutional NRF Research funds 2016/17 year; ($180,950),hosted by Karatina University. Research Team: 3 Kenyan Universities and NARS (Karatina, Chuka,SEKU, and Kenya Agricultural and Livestock Research Organization). 2nd Year of Project (2019).
ii. CIMMYT- Kenya Small Maize Grants Research Funding; 2017 year
1. Mwololo J.K., Mugo S., Otim M., Munyiri S. W. and Okori P. 2019. Quantitative Trait Loci Mapping in Maize for Resistance to Larger Grain Borer. Maydica, 63 No 27 (2018).
2. Munyiri S.W. and Mugo S. N. 2017. Quantitative trait loci for resistance to spotted and African maize stem borers (Chilo partellus and Busseola fusca) in a tropical maize (Zea mays L.) population. African Journal of Biotechnology, 16(28): 1579-1589. I
3. Munyiri S.W., Mugo S. N., and Mwololo J. K. 2015. Mechanisms and levels of resistance in hybrids open pollinated varieties and landraces to Chilo partellus maize stem borers. International Research Journal of Agricultural Science and Soil Science, 5(3): 81-90.
4. Mwololo J. K., Munyiri S.W., Semagn K., Mugo S. and Okori P. 2015. Genetic Diversity Analysis in Tropical Maize Germplasm for Stem Borer and Storage Pest Resistance using Molecular Markers and Phenotypic traits. Molecular Plant Breeding, 6 (17):1-22.
5. Munyiri S.W. and Mugo S.N. 2014. Resistance to spotted stem borer in commercial maize hybrids and open pollinated varieties in Kenya. Agricultural Innovations for Sustainable Development: Contributions from the 3rd Africa-Wide Women and Young Professionals in Science Competitions. Agricultural Innovations for Sustainable Development. CTA and FARA; Vol 4 Issue 3.
6. Munyiri S. W., Mugo S. N., Otim M., Tefera T., Beyene Y., Mwololo J. K. and Okori P. 2013. Responses of tropical maize landraces to Spotted stem borer damage in Kenya. African Journal of Biotechnology, 12(11):1229-1235.
7. Munyiri S. W., Okori P., Mugo S. N., Otim M., Tefera T. and Mwololo J. K. 2013. Mechanisms of resistance in tropical maize inbred lines to Chilo partellus (Lepidoptera: Crambidae). Journal of Agricultural Science, 5 (7): 51-60. Chuka University Academic Staff Database © 2020 Page 31 of 460
8. Munyiri S.W. and Tabu I.M. 2013. Resistance to the larger grain borer (Prostephanus truncatus) and yield performance in selected local maize landraces in Kenya. International Journal of Agronomy and Agricultural Science, 3 (2): 40-47.
9. Munyiri S. W., Pathak R. S., Tabu I. M., and Gemenet D. C. 2010. Effects of moisture stress at flowering on phenotypic characters of selected maize local landraces in Kenya. Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences, 8(1): 892-899.
10. Mwololo J. K., Mugo S., Tefera T. and Munyiri S.W. 2013. Evaluation of traits of resistance to postharvest insect pests in tropical maize. International Journal of Agriculture and Crop Sciences, 6(13): 926-933.
11. Mwololo J. K., Mugo S., Okori P., Tefera T., Otim M. and Munyiri S.W. 2012. Sources of Resistance to the Maize Weevil Sitophilus zeamais in Tropical Maize. Journal of Agricultural Science 4 (11):206-215.
12. Mwololo J. K., Mugo S. N., Tefera T., Okori P., Munyiri S. W., Semagn M., Otim M. and Beyene Y. 2012. Resistance of Tropical Maize Genotypes to the Larger Grain Borer. Journal of Pest Science, 85 (2): 267-275.
13. Mwololo J. K., Okori P., Mugo S., Tefera T., Yoseph B., Otim M. and Munyiri S.W. 2012. Phenotypic and genotypic variation in tropical maize inbred lines for resistance to the maize weevil and larger grain borer. International Journal of Agricultural Science and Research, 2 (4): 41-52.
14. Gemenet D. C., Wachira F. N., Pathak R.S. and Munyiri S.W. 2010. Identification of molecular markers linked to drought tolerance using bulked segregant analysis in Kenyan maize (Zea mays L.) landraces. Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences, 9 (1):1122-1134.
15. Muturi, P. W., Mwololo, J. K., Munyiri, S. W., Ruibahayo, P., Munyua, J. K., Mgonja, M., Manyasa, E, and Kiarie, N. 2010. A perspective on proteomics: current applications, challenges and potential uses. Agriculture and Biology Journal of North America Vol. 1 (5):916-918.
16. Mwololo, J. K., Munyua, J. K., Muturi, P.W. and Munyiri, S.W. 2010. An overview of advances in bioinformatics and its application in functional genomics. Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences, 6 (3):645-652.
17. Mwololo J. K., Karaya H.G., Munyua J.K., Muturi P.W., and Munyiri S.W. 2010. Utilization of proteins and nucleic acids in the study of gene function: a comparative review. Journal of Applied Biosciences, 30:186–1865.
18. Mwololo J. K., Munyiri S.W. and Muturi P. W. 2009. Overview of breeding for grain resistance to storage pests. Aspects of Applied Biology, 96: 421-42.
iii. CIMMYT- Kenya Small Maize Grants Research Funding; 2016 year
iv. CIMMYT- Kenya Small Maize Grants Research Funding; 2015 year
v. CIMMYT- Kenya Small Maize Grants Research Funding; 2014 year
POSTGRADUATE SUPERVISION TOPICS
1. Maize Performance and Water Use under Rhizobium Inoculated Cowpea Intercrop in Lower Tharaka Nithi.
2. Effects and Mechanisms of Action of Nitrogen, Mulch and Gibberellic Acid on Preharvest and Postharvest Components of Multi-Purpose Pumpkin (Cucurbita Moschata Duchesne) in Kenya.
3. Socioeconomic and Management Factors Affecting Earnings of Smallholder Coffee Farmers in Runyenjes Sub-County, Kenya
4. Analysis of Factors Affecting Milk Production in Chuka Sub-County
5. Effects of Sowing Time and Row Spacing on Growth Rate, Panicle Length and Grain Yield of Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa) in Kiambu County
6. Effects of different manures on yield and yield components and quality parameters of orange-fleshed sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas). Faculty defense stage.
7. Effects of different rates of organic and inorganic fertilizers on the growth rates and yield of quinoa in Tharaka-Nithi County
8. Evaluation of Early Maturing Maize (Zea mays L.) Hybrids for Multiple stress Tolerance. Chuka University Academic Staff Database © 2020 Page 32 of 460
9. Heterosis and Combining Ability between Acid Tolerant and Maize Streak Virus Resistant Inbred Lines.
10. Effects of Neem leaves, Seaweed, Cashew nut leaves and Wood Shaving Mulches on Soil Properties, Growth and Yield of Amaranthus in Kilifi County.
11. Collection, Characterizationm, Evaluation and Seed Multiplication of Naturalized Multipurpose Pumpkin Landraces from Kakamega and Nyeri Regions in Kenya.