FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION
Lecturer of Food Science and Technology (Specialty; Food bio-systems engineering)
2019 – To date Tutorial Fellow/Assistant Lecturer, Chuka University
2017 – 2019 Part-time lecturer, Egerton University, Laikipia University and Chuka University
2015 – 2017 Research assistant, INSFEED (Insects for Food and Feed)
2014 – 2015 ISO 22000:2005 Consultant, Organic Growers and Packers (EPZ) Limited
2013 – 2014 Research assistant, Preesman HBV (now United Selections) Limited
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
Food science and Technology platform of Kenya (FoSTeP-Kenya)
International Union of Food Science and Technology (IUFost)
Ph.D. Food Science – In progress, Egerton University
Master of Science – Food Science, Egerton University
B.Sc. Food Science and Technology, Egerton University
KEY RESEARCH PROJECTS
1. 2020 to date – Diversity, distribution and post-harvest handling of banana cultivars in Embu, Meru and Tharaka Nithi in Kenya (Co-investigator; funded by Chuka University)
2. 2018-date: Utilization of magnetic fields on reduction of postharvest losses in potatoes. Funder CESAAM
3. 2015-2017 – Use of edible insects as protein sources in food and feed (Co-investigator; funded by ICIPE)
RECENT SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
1. Irungu, F. G., Mutungi, C., Faraj, A., Affognon, H., Ekesi, S., Nakimbugwe, D. and Fiaboe, K. K. M. (2019). Optimization of extruder cooking conditions for the manufacture of fish feeds using response surface methodology. – Journal of Food Process Engineering 42; e12980 (2): 1-12.
2. C. Mutungi, F. G. Irungu, J. Nduko, F. Mutua, H. Affognon, D. Nakimbugwe, S. Ekesi & K. K. M. Fiaboe. (2019). Postharvest processes of edible insects in Africa: A review of processing methods, and the implications for nutrition, safety and new products development, Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition 59(2): 276-298. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2017.1365330
3. F. G. Irungu, C. M. Mutungi, A. K. Faraj, H. Affognon, S. Ekesi, D. Nakimbugwe and K. K. M. Fiaboe. (2018). Proximate composition and in vitro protein digestibility of extruded aquafeeds containing Acheta domesticus and Hermetia illucens fractions. Journal of Insects as Food and Feed, 4(4), 275-284.
4. F. G. Irungu, C. M. Mutungi, A. K. Faraj, H. Affognon, C. Tanga, S. Ekesi, D. Nakimbugwe and K. K. M. Fiaboe. (2018). Minerals content of extruded fish feeds containing cricket (Acheta domesticus) and black soldier fly larvae (Hermetia illucens) fractions. – International Aquatic Research 10: 101-113.
5. F. G. Irungu, C. M. Mutungi, A. K. Faraj , H. Affognon, N. Kibet, C. Tanga, S. Ekesi, D. Nakimbugwe and K. K. M. Fiaboe. (2018). Physico-chemical properties of extruded aquafeed pellets containing black soldier fly (Hermetia illucens) larvae and adult cricket (Acheta domesticus) meals. Journal of Insects as Food and Feed, 4(1), 19-30. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3920/JIFF2017.0008
Reduction of food postharvest losses through bio-systems engineering; promotion of entomophagy as a contributor to food security; value addition in foods