FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION
Food science and Technology
1. May 2019 – Date: Tutorial Fellow, Department of Plant Sciences, Chuka University. Teaching courses to students taking Bachelor of Science in Food Science and Technology.
2. September 2017 – August 2018: Part-Time Assistant Lecturer: Department of Food science and Technology, The Technical University of Kenya. Teaching courses on Introduction to Food Science and Technology and Food packaging, Sensory evaluation of foods and Dairy Chemistry and Dairy Technology. Course offered to undergraduate students taking Bachelor of Technology in Food Science and Technology.
3. March – December 2018: Part-Time Assistant Lecturer: Department of Food science and Technology, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology. Teaching courses on principles of food preservation, Industrial transformation of cereals, Food quality assurance and Sugar and confectionery technology. Course offered to Undergraduate students taking BSc. Food science and technology and BSc. Public Health.
4. September 2017 – January 2018: Part-Time Assistant Lecturer: Institute of Food and Bio-Resource Technology, Dedan Kimanthi University of Technology. Teaching courses on food quality assurance. Course offered to diploma and undergraduate students taking Diploma and Bachelor of sustainable tourism and hospitality management, respectively. Course content included: GMPs, HACCP, ISO 22000, ISO 9000 Family of standards, and the 3S system.
5. January – December 2017: Part-Time Assistant Lecturer: Department of Dairy & Food Science and Technology, Egerton University. Teaching course on Introduction to the food industry. Course offered to undergraduate students taking BSc. Food science and technology. BSc. Dairy technology and management, BSc. Agricultural economics and BSc. Agribusiness management.
6. September 2014-July 2017: Part-Time Technician, Department of Dairy & Food Science and Technology, Egerton University. Offered practical training to undergraduate students taking Bachelor of Science in Food Science and Technology, Bachelor of Science in Dairy Technology and Management, and Diploma in Dairy Technology on food biotechnology, cereals and root crops technology, non-dairy food processing technologies, meat, poultry and seafood technology, quality assurance and sensory evaluation.
2017 – Date: Doctor of Philosophy, Food Science and Nutrition, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Juja, Kenya.
2013 – 2016: Master of Science in Food science, Egerton University, Egerton, Kenya.
2009 -2013: Bachelor of Science, Food Science and Technology. First class honours, Egerton University, Egerton, Kenya.
2004 – 2007: Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education Grade A- (Minus), Kyuso Secondary School, Mwingi, Kenya.
1996 – 2003: Kenya Certificate of Primary Education Mean grade B+ (plus), Kyome Primary School, Migwani, Kenya.
1. March 2017: Enumerator – International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology, (ICIPE) – RELOAD Project: on-farm storage hygiene data collection in Kenya. Field Surveys.
2. June 2015 – June 2016: Research assistant, USAID, Photovoltaics for Sustainable Milk for Africa through Refrigeration Technology (PV-SMART) project, Egerton University in collaboration with Winrock International (USA) and SunDanzer (USA). Field Surveys, Data collection, and Analysis.
3. Sept 2014 – July 2017: Volunteer, Division of Research and Extension, Egerton University. Participation in Proposal development workshops, literature reviews, shows and exhibitions, workshops and conferences facilitation.
4. Sept 2014 – Feb 2015: Enumerator and Data Entry Clerk, Kenya Agricultural Productivity and Agribusiness Project (KAPAP). Field surveys across various counties in Kenya and data entry.
1. Mwove, J. K., (2019). Potential for development of novel food products from Azanza garckeana tree fruit, International Journal of Food Studies. Accepted
2. Mugo, E. M., Mahungu, S. M., Chikamai, B. N., Mwove, J. K. (2019). Evaluation of gum arabic from Acacia senegal var kerensis and Acacia senegal var senegal as a stabilizer in low-fat yoghurt, International Journal of Food Studies, Accepted
3. Mwove, J. K., Gogo, L. A., Chikamai, B. N., Omwamba, M., & Mahungu, S. M. (2017). Principal component analysis of physicochemical and sensory characteristics of beef rounds extended with gum arabic from Acacia senegal var. kerensis. Food Sci Nutr.00, 1–9.
4. Mwove, J. K., Mahungu, S. M., Gogo, L. A., Chikamai, B. N., & Omwamba, M. (2017). Microbial quality and shelf life prediction of vacuum-packaged ready to eat beef rounds containing gum arabic. International Journal of Food Studies, 6(1).
5. Mwove, J.K., Gogo, L.A., Chikamai, B.N., Omwamba, M.N. and Mahungu, S.M. (2016) Preparation and quality evaluation of extended beef rounds containing gum arabic from Acacia senegal var. kerensis. Food and Nutrition Sciences, 7, 977-988.
6. Foster, R., Jensen, B., Dugdill, B., Hadley, W., Knight, B., Faraj, A., & Mwove, J. K. (2017). Direct Drive Photovoltaic Milk Chilling Experience in Kenya, IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference 44, Paper #575, Washington DC, 28 June, 2017.
7. Foster, R., Jensen, B., Dugdill1, B., Knight, B., Faraj, A., Mwove, J.K. and Hadley, W. (2015). Solar Milk Cooling: Smallholder Dairy Farmer Experience in Kenya, International Solar Energy Society, SWC 2015.
Food quality and safety