Associate Professor/Chairman Department of Physical Science
Faculty of Science, Engineering and Technology
Department of Physical Sciences
Kenya Chemical Society (ID M15 – Charles Ochieng’ Ombaka Chuka University)
ISDS (Japan) – ID M173021
A Draftsman (Constitution of K.A.S.A). All India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, 1992-1993.
Technical Adviser of the Kenya African Students Association (K.A.S.A), All India, Sri Lanka and
Trustee Member 1 of Kenya African Students Association (K.A.S.A), All India, Sri Lanka Udaipur
Kenyatta University (1999-2000): Postgraduate Diploma in Education
Mohanlal Sukhadia University (1993-1996): PhD in Analytical Chemistry
Mohanlal Sukhadia University (1990-1992): MSc. in Chemistry
Mohanlal Sukhadia University (1987-1990): Bachelor of Science
Dec. 2019: Associate Professor
Dec, 2013 to Dec. 2019: Senior Lecturer in Chemistry, Chuka University
2013 to date: Chairman, Department of Physical Sciences, Chuka University, Kenya
Nov, 2010 to Dec, 2013: Lecturer in Chemistry, Chuka University
Jan, 2008 to July, 2010: Lecturer in Chemistry, Kisumu Polytechnic College, P. O. Box 143-40100, Kisumu.
May, 1997 to Dec, 2008: Lecturer, Mawego Techninical Training College, P. O. Box 35, Kendu-Bay.
Jan 1994 to Jan 2006: Tutorial Fellow, Mohanlal Sukhadia University, P. O. Box 313001, Udaipur, India
1. R. K. Muya, L. Achola, E. C. Njagi, O. Ombaka, S. L. Suib (2019). Synthesis, characterization and applications of transition metal-doped manganese oxide catalysts. Research Journal of Life Sciences, Bioinformatics, Pharmaceutical and Chemical Sciences, 5(2): 16-30.
2. Ombaka O. (2019) Complexometric determination on Nickel (ii) in its synthetic alloys using selected Hydroxytriazene as metallochromic indicator. International journal of Development and Sustainability 8(9): 627-637.
3. Felicity, K.M, Ombaka O. (2019), Indigenous knowledge and applications of clay among rural communities in western Kenya. International journal of Development and Sustainability, 8 (4): 264-283. Chuka University Academic Staff Database © 2020 Page 263 of 460
4. Ombaka O (2018). Utility of 3-Hydroxy-3-M-Tolyl-1-P-Methoxyphenyltriazene as chromogenic reagent for spectrophotometric determination of Nickel (II) in environmental samples. Journal of environmental science, toxicology and Food technology, 12(6): 68-76.
5. Felicity K.M, Ombaka O (2017). Assessment of indegenious knowledge and practices on the use of clay among rural communities in Meru, Kenya. International journal of development and sustainability, 6(11):1701-1720.
6. Ombaka O (2016). Characterization and classification of clay minerals for potential applications in Rugi ward, Kenya. African journal of environmental science and technology, 10 (11): 415-431.
7. Ombaka O. (2016). Sensitivity analysis of treatment and counselling in a co-infection model of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, IJRRAS, 26(2): 78-89.
8. Mark O. Okong’o, Ochieng Ombaka (2015). The role of treatment and counselling in an HIV/AIDS, Malaria and Tuberculosis Model. An analysis of HIV/AIDS and Malaria. IOSR Journal of mathematics, 11 (6): 50-64.
9. Onesmus Munene Nderi, Levi Mugalavai Musalia and Ochieng Ombaka (2015). Effects of natural licks on feed intake, nutrient digestibility, milk production and quality in Kenya Alpine Dairy Ration. Int. J. Agric. Sc. &Vet med, 3(4): 65-75.
10. Onesmus Munene Nderi, Levi Mugalavai Musalia and Ochieng Ombaka (2015). Determination of essential minerals and toxic elements composition of the natural licks consumed by livestock in TharakaNithi County, Kenya. IOSR Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science, 8(10): 45-53
11. Njoka E. N., Ombaka O., Gichumbi J.M., Kibaara D.I, Nderi O.M (2015). Characterization of clays from Tharaka-Nithi County in Kenya for Industrial and Agricultural Applications. African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 9(3): 228-243.
12. Onesmus Munene Nderi, Levi Mugalavai Musalia, Ochieng Ombaka (2014). Livestock Farmers Perception on the relevance of natural licks in Igamabang’ombe Division, Tharaka Nithi County, Kenya. IOSR Journal of Agriculture and veterinary Science, 7(5): 52-59.
13. Ombaka O., Ndanu, A., Kibaara D. I., Njiri A. O. and Kosgei K. W. (2014). Spectrophotometric Determination of traces of Lead (II) in Spinach Samples marketed in Chuka, Kenya. International Journal of Modern Chemistry, 6: 1-17.
14. Musundi S. Wabomba, Ombaka C. Ochieng, Njogu S. Muriuki, Fredrick Muthengi, Mugambi Dennis and Charles K. Gitonga (2014). Application of Banach Space Ideal properties in Image Transmission over Wireless Network. Journal of Emerging Trend in Computing and Information Sciences. 215-219.
15. Ombaka O., Musundi S. W., Gitonga, L. K., Kibara. D. and Olivia A. N. (2013). Rapid, Economical and selective Compexometric Determination of Iron (III) in its synthetic alloys using 3 hydroxy-3 phynyl-1- (2,4,6-tribromophynyl). International Journal of Scientific & Engineering, 4(9).
16. Musundi S. Wabomba, Ombaka C. Ochieng, Njogu S. Muriuki, Fredrick Muthengi, Mugambi Dennis and Shem O. Aywa, (2013). Conjecture of Banach space operator ideals in nuclear spaces, Asian Journal of Current Engineering and Maths, 2(3): 196 – 200.
17. Ombaka O., Gichumbi, J.M and Kibaara, D., (2013). Evaluation of Ground Water and Trap Water Quality in the Villages Surrounding Chuka Town, Kenya. Journal of Chemical, Biological and Physical Science, 3(2): 1551-1563
18. Ombaka O., Gichumbi, J.M, Mukono, S.T and Kibaara, D., (2013). Effect of Human Activities and Seasonal Variation on Water Quality of Nkenye (Chikuu) Stream in Chuka, Kenya. International Journal of modern Chemistry, 4(1): 50-65.
19. Ombaka O. and Gichumbi, J.M. (2012). Water quality assessment of Ruguti River in Meru South, Kenya. International Journal of Water Resources and Environment Engineering, 4(12): 404-414.
20. Ombaka O. and Gichumbi, J.M, (2012). Investigation of Physicochemical and Bacteriological Characteristics of Water Samples from Irigu River Meru South, Kenya. International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, 3(11).
21. Ombaka O., Gichumbi, J.M, and Kinyua, C.G., (2012). Status of Water Quality of Naka River in Meru South, Kenya. International Journal of modern Chemistry, 3(1): 23-38.
22. Gichumbi, J.M, Ombaka O., and Gichuki, J.G., (2012). Geochemical and Mineralogical Characteristics of Geophagic Materials from Kiambu, Kenya. International Journal of modern Chemistry, 2(3): 108-116.
23. Ombaka O., Muguna, A.T., and Gichumbi, J.M, (2012). Antibacterial and Antifungal activities of Novel hydroxytriazenes. Journal of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, 4 (7): 133-136. Chuka University Academic Staff Database © 2020 Page 264 of 460
24. Ombaka O. and Gichumbi, J.M, (2012). Spectrophotometric Determination of Iron (III) by New Analytical Reagents Derived from Coupling Arylhydroxylamine and Aryldiazonium salt, Asian Journal of Chemistry, 24(4) 1483-1488.
25. Ombaka O. and Gichumbi, J.M, (2011). Spectrophotometric Determination of cobalt (II) in low concentrations using hydroxytriazene as selective chelating agents, African Journal of Pure and Applied Chemistry, 5(15): 494-502.
26. Ombaka O. and Gichumbi, J.M, (2011). Synthesis and Insecticidal activities of some selected hydroxytriazenes, Journal of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, 3(11): 286-289.
27. Gichumbi, J.M., and Ombaka O., (2011). Analysis of Geophagic materials consumed by pregnant women in Embu, Meru and Chuka towns in Eastern province, Kenya, Journal of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, 3(13): 340-344.
28. Gichumbi, J.M., Ombaka O., and Githaiga, J.G, (2011). Chemical and Mineralogical Analysis of Geophagic materials consumed by pregnant women in Eastern Nairobi and Nyanza Province in Kenya, Sacha Journal of Environmental Studies, 1(1), 116-122.
MULTIDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH GRANT PASSED, WAITING FOR AWARD
1. Title: Conversion of municipal wastewater to useful by-products using bio-nanotechnology for enhanced
agricultural productivity and food security in Kenya.
2. Title: Integration of genomics, metabolomics and marker-assisted selection to identify key alleles for
building Kenyan cowpea (Vigna unguiculata (L.) walp) ideotypes for enhanced food security.
1. Funding Body :Chuka University College Staff Research -1 st Call
2. Funding Body :Chuka University Staff Research -2 nd Call
3. Funding Body :Chuka University Staff Research Grant – 4 th Call (March 2014)
4. Funding Body: National Commission for Science, Technology and Innovation (NACOSTI) – 5 th Call (April 2014)
5. Funding Body: Chuka University Staff Research Grant – 5 th Call (March 2015)
6. Funding Body: National Research Fund for infrastructure support Ksh- 2016/2017
7. Funding Body :European Commission Grant fo InnoFood Africa Food Project- 2019
FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION
1.Combined effects of hall current, rotation and inclined magnetic field on a free convection fluid flow with heat and mass transfer.
2. Synergistic evaluation of selected plant extracts on the potency of botanical formulation against significant coleopteran maize pests in Kenya.
3. Physicochemical properties of water, algal and cyanobacterial diversities and biomass, and biological control of cyanobacteria in the economic stimulus programme (ESP) fish ponds in Tharaka –Nithi county
4. Nutritional evaluation of piliosigma thonningi pods as feed supplements for lactating Kenya alpine dairy goats.
5. Effects of natural licks in lactating dairy goat ration in Tharaka-Nithi county, Kenya.
6.Determination of mineralogical, chemical and physical properties of clay from selected sites in Eastern and Western Kenya Chuka University.
7 Assessment of seasonal and spatial heavy metal variations using water, plant and sediment in Nkubu, urban watershed streams.
8 Synthesis, characterization and application of transition metal-doped manganese oxide catalysts on degradation of methylene blue.
9 Modelling nitrate leaching into groundwater using advection dispersion equation.
10 Numerical range finite linear operators in Banach spaces.
11. Flight delays at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport using logit, random forest and support vector machine models.
12. The impact of human activities on the distribution of heavy metals in agricultural soil, plants, river sediments and water quality of Athi river, Machakos, Kenya.
13. Assessment of quality of borehole water in Meru south sub-county, Kenya.
14. Diversity, heavy metal concentration and phytoremediation potential of wild plants species naturally growing on Kang’oki dumpsite, Thika, Kenya